Monday, January 5, 2015

Hello 2015!

Wow it's really 2015. The year the movie "Back to the Future" said we would all ride in floating cars, ride hover boards and wear strange looking military-inspired outfits. Well, aside from a hover board prototype, none of that's happened. I think the difference between 1989 and 2015 is big enough thanks. Okay, so onto running related topics. I've become a streaker! Yup, not the nudity kind but a "I'm gonna run at least 1 mile every single day in 2015" kind of streaker. After last year of waffling around workouts I figure this will encourage more consistency in my running. So far, so good. I've had two 1 mile days so far with the rest of my runs between 5-7 miles. Both of my 1 miler days were days that it was too nasty outside to do anything so I hopped on my treadmill. And, I have to say, I am enjoying it even if I have a banged up little toe from a Christmas-based accident. Yeah, a big heavy piece of wood came crashing down on my toe causing it to be a wee bit swollen for...what are we now...three weeks?! Wearing my running shoes is very uncomfortable so I've gone back to my trusty VFF sprints. It's funny. The doctor who looked at my toe told me to do RICE and wear a sturdy shoe. Uh huh. Every time they say that I try their advice (I swear I do!) but after a 10th of a mile in my "sturdy" shoes I returned home and put on my VFFs. Bliss...well, at least I can run without pain in them! Honestly though, I would rather wear my regular running shoes. Wearing VFFs in the winter gets you some strange looks from people when you're in a winter running coat (LOVE my Ghost Whisper jacket!!), tights, a buff to cover your face, mitts and a hat. Fashionable...no. Comfortable-yes. And if it keeps me running (and not the crazy grumpy person I became for the week after the toe smash), then I think we can all agree this poor fashion choice is best for all. I just hope the swelling goes down soon-this sixth toe feeling sucks! So, my goals for 2015. Well, the first is to keep up the streak. The second is to run the Moose 25k Run in March, the WW Ultra again in May, run the Sole Sisters 5k with my mom and daughter in June and possibly run the Brookvale Ultra in August. I am toying with the idea of running the NS Marathon (it's in its 45th year!) but that's a week away from the Brookvale Ultra-which is not to be underestimated. Neither fill up quickly so I have time to decide. For the fall I'd like to run a race in October, but that's a very difficult month to schedule with my daughter's birthday, Thanksgiving and Halloween. Last year I managed to run the last MEC trail half marathon so I might just repeat that. It was a really nice way to end off the running racing season. Well, that's my check-in for the moment. All of my Mountain Hard wear gear is holding up great during these colder days, and with the temperatures going down to -18 this week I know the Ghost Whisper jacket will keep me warm-now if they could only make this material for running pants! :-) Happy running out there-and stay safe and visible!

No comments: