Thursday, November 4, 2010

Spreading the Word :-)

I had a neat conversation with a woman this past weekend about barefoot/minimalist running. She noticed me wearing my VFFs and asked if they were comfortable. I told her they were like wearing a second skin for me, and I've run as far as 20km in them. Her jaw just about hit the floor. "20kms?" She said, "you don't need arch support?" I said, "No, you don't need arch support, unless there's something structurally wrong with your feet to begin with." "Well, you must have been born with perfect feet then." she retorted. Nooo was my reply and I listed off the running injuries I've had and how they no longer bother me wearing VFFs or going barefoot. She asked what I wore previously to going VFFs and I told her I used to love my Saucony's, but now I can't imagine putting my feet back in running shoes. She thanked me for letting her quiz me like that. I told her to give them a try at least, you never know, you might like it.

Going minimalist/barefoot is still SO new in Nova Scotia, even seasoned runners are reluctant to give up their tried and true running shoes. Maybe, though, just maybe, she'll try them (or something similar) and she'll start telling people about them too...you never know!

No comments: